Tuesday, December 13, 2005

birthdays

I remember a few years ago after one of my birthdays pondering the reason for their significance. I mean they're kind of a wierd thing - these days that come across once a year for people where they celebrate the fact that they were born. One day every year for the rest of their life. I wrote in my journal something like 'Birthdays: a worthless day that's an excuse for presents, or an opportunity to tell people how much you love them?', and I concluded that it really is your own choice, whether it be your own birthday or someone elses. This first half of December has been a bit of a birthday 'boom' as Stef so aptly put it - e.g. as many of you would know bcoz you were there, last Saturday I had a belated 'bad-taste birthday brunch' (two months to the day since my b'day! - see Sez and Lib's blogs for photos!), then I partied on to Golat's 18th Cocktail party (see Lib's blog for photos again! I thought it was time for a text entry rather than more photos, much as I love them!) (where we got to wear all our formal finery again, yes!! Though somehow a mozzie managed to crawl between the layers of my dress, and got squished as I tried to get rid of it resulting in a bizzare bug stain on my dress ... oh well, adds character!), and THEN it was Phili's 24th on sunday!!

But really, birthdays are so cool - you have a designated day to tell someone how awesome you think they are - things that may not always pop up in everyday conversation. To quote Phili on her blog "I have a love/hate relationship with birthdays because I feel awkward being the centre of attention but deep down (or perhaps not even really that deep down!) it is lovely to feel special and loved in an over the top way :)" Don't we all! That night before I went to sleep I had a read of all the cards again, and they were all so cool and special - the cards are as much of the gift as the present i reckon, and they're the sort of ones I'll keep forever (or at least a very long time!). I have such creative friends :)!

Which brings me to the topic of giving as well. I actually love christmas shopping for other people - it's when you can splurge and not feel guilty! It's just so fun to find something you know (or hope) someone will love, or putting thought into it. It's the one time of year I'm actually organised about present buying, making a list and ticking them off as a power-shop. Not so organised for birthdays unfortunately (I only just gave Lib her promised portrait for her b'day prez, and her b'day was in May!). I think my bro Dan is the master of thoughtful present buying - I went shopping with him last week for Phili's pressie, and it was so much fun - basically a collection of heaps of really cool small stuff. Like we'd see something funky that she'd like and be like 'let's get it!'. And he was so excited about giving it to her that he kept waking up at like half hour intervals in the early hours of her birthday morning! Go Dan, you're a present inspiration :P

So as we come up to Christmas lets take advantage of the opportunity to tell people that we love that we love them, however that may be in your own style. I mean Christmas came about when God decided to be generous and give us His son, lets follow suit! (Though I don't recommend giving away children, siblings or otherwise, that could come across as a little unloving if you're not doing it in God's context;)

2 comments:

sez said...

you mean i can't give away simon?? PLEASE??? oh :( :P just kidding... sorta...

sez said...

oh, and nice post!