Monday, October 24, 2005

it's the little things...

Random thought: as cliche as it sounds, its the little things that make a big difference. I was thinking the other day, something I really admire about my Mum (which I hope i pick up!) is how she goes the extra effort to do the sort of things that you can get away with not doing, but it makes all the difference if you do. Things like making meals for people, random notes or cards, or cleaning my room up a bit when I'm out. The sorts of things that make ordinary, mundane life all of a sudden interesting and more meaningful. What got me thinking about it was how Em's parent's sent her flowers at school- it reminded me how Dan and Phili did the same thing for me at the beginning of the year to wish me luck for year 12. Aww, warm fuzzies, lol! Anyway, just a thought...

In other news, it's been a pretty jam packed w/e:

Fri: in response to a last minute plea when no-one else could (or would?) do it, some of us (being Georgie, Jordan A, Nick VR, Fergus, Anne, Miz, Sum and I) did this thing at the Archbishop's (Jeff Driver) installation at the convention centre. The 'thing' involved two things- the first picking up a giant piece of blue drifty fabric and running down two aisles so it went over the centre section of people (trying not to coathanger them- keeping in mind Mike Rann and Marjorie (sp?) Jackson were in the first row, so that wouldn't have been good... actually I did almost get a camera man who didn't get what we were doing till we were running at him), and the second picking up these giant bannery flag things (which were actually quite cool) and running, and I quote, "down the aisle and out into the world". Yes, I was a little cynical at first and needed some convincing, but it ended up being a lot of fun- both the actual performance thing (apparently we were on channel 9 news on sat nite, but WE MISSED IT!! anyone happen to tape it??), seeing what the service was like, and hanging out with everyone.

Afterwards we went to the last bit of youth (after surviving Jordan T's driving, quite the adrenaline rush) which was pretty good, I think we disrupted the girls Bible study a bit on arrival, but ah well. Apparently they played 'egg' (say in monotone voice) according to Emma, lol!

Sat: Actually got up early to do individual modern history essay. There were two things significant about that last sentance- 1) i actually got up EARLY to do work, as in I carried through on my plan- quite the rare occurance, and 2) yes I was only doing the first draft of my BIG mod hist essay on saturday, and yes I have to hand the final one in this week. At least I can work alright under pressure! It's on the impact of the printing press on the spread of the Reformation in C16th Germany, which is actually really interesting bcoz I've been wanting to learn about the Reformation for a while. I would've been completely lost without Dad tho, he was the hugest (if that's a word!) help!!

Sat nite: Joel's Mexican Fiesta, which was a whole lotta fun!! Wierd, bcoz I hadn't been to his place since his party last yr so it brought the memories flooding back! Poor Annie got injured (think blindfolded Dave with pinata baton, thinking Anne was Law, and thinking Law had just *ahem* pinched his nipple so wanted to get him)- thankfully she had some awesome friends too keep her both conscious and entertained, and wasn't concussed! And yes there was a rather amusing incident that was referred to on Phil's blog after the party- without going into too much detail Law, G and Phil drove past Dave's with high beams, honking, at like 12:45 and my car happened to still be there as I was dropping Dave off... and *shock horror* we were talking!! So we'd been there an hour, but I still maintain that it was impossible for the window's to be foggy bcoz the window was open... Anyway, I don't have to defend myself ;o) We had a perfect right to be there (well, apart from the fact that midnight was the curfew...) It was pretty classic tho!! Mmm, I laughed... it could've been worse

Anyhoo, off to see Lisa's exIBition soon, so I'd better go do the stuff i need to do before then!

5 comments:

Emma Smith said...

egg

Phili said...

it's the little things like impromptu family discussions about "love" over a cup of tea and chocolate mint sticks that give me warm fuzzies!

Michael said...

Just yesterday I was talking with some friends about what 'love in action' looks like, and we concluded that the little things all add up - the things we don't have to do, but have a huge impact when we go that little extra, like flowers, or remembering a new person's name the next week, etc.

Your weekend sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to see you in December...

:-)

sez said...

oh BY THE WAY, my [haha] emma c saw u on the news ;o) [she reads ur blog sometimes] and asked me if it was you on monday or something... hehehe

jesster said...

oh really?! lol, even my modern hist teacher saw me- basically everyone saw it but us!! *sigh* my rise to stardom was but fleeting and elusive...