Saturday, April 21, 2007

... sobering

I thought I'd take a brief break from writing an essay (why is it that I can write more in three night-time hours, than the whole of the day spent sitting in front of the computer?!) to share a bit of what it's about because ... well, it's pretty sobering stuff.
And this also should help keep me focussed on actually getting the darn thing done (ironically, I hear you say, as I'm actually actively NOT getting it done by writing this? Never mind such logical logic, at this time of the night it simply doesn't apply... Ah, sweet denial).
The question for anthropology which I've ended up doing is this:

'Analyse and discuss the impact that amputations and mutilations had on Sierra Leonean society during the war of the 1990s. To what extent was the power of the rebels literall and physically inscribed on the bodies of their victims?'

I've spent the last couple of days immersed in reading about all this stuff - in graphic, detailed descriptions about how people had arms or hands hacked off in 'short' (above the elbow) or 'long' sleeve fashion, were indiscriminately killed or abused, had to watch silently as family members were tortured or murdered, women and girls raped and sexually abused, children made to become soldiers and carry out the above with abandon, losing their childhood along the way...



Reading about all of that makes me uncomfortable. When I was little I used to think the majority of the world was like the peaceful little world that I lived in, with a couple of dusty countries in Africa having trouble finding food (but not to worry, America would soon enough fly in some supplies, or Oprah would save the day) ... But so it should make me uncomfortable - I don't want to look at the world through desensitised or purely academic eyes. In a strange way it's good to be filled with a sadness and compassion for people outside my own circumstances. It really does fill me with sadness and anger for the things these people have gone through, and the utter evil possessing the people carrying such atrocities out. It's like think of your worst nightmare, and that happened to these people. It's both mind-blowing and sobering.


But anyway, the specific and intetional way that the rebel groups used amputations and mutilations on people to send a message is clever in a very disturbing way - rather than killing a person it leaves them with a ceaseless reminder of the power relationship between themselves and the aggressor (sorry if this sounds like an essay :P). Basically they're leaving their mark on the person for life, as well as sending a political message to the government (which was what they were wanting to do) that they aren't protecting their citizens, and aren't good enough. Add to that the corruption in the government and things are pretty dire!
At the moment though things look like they're on the up and up so that's pretty hopeful :)


Makes me think of what we were looking at in the last small group on camp though, of what we can look forward to in heaven, we won't be in a stuffed up world forever:


And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Rev 21:3-5

If you got here to the end of this impassioned post, well done, when I next see you I might you a pat on the back (I was going to say I might give you chocolate, but that would be cruelly raising your hopes only to be painfully crushed... so I didn't) ;)
Night...

3 comments:

sez said...

i love those verses.

Tamie said...

I got to the end. Not sure what to say really because you capture that heartwrenching tension of caring and wanting to do something on one hand and feeling totally inadequate on the other.

I think you're right... As we consider how best to aid the many poor, oppressed and disadvantaged in our world, we also, like John in Revelation, must cry, 'Come, Lord Jesus, Come!'

Shorty said...

very moving post there Jess. i like those verses also.

i agree - it is very clever in a disturbing way (the amputations by the rebels).