Wednesday, March 22, 2006

diamonds are forever ... or are they?

Two posts in one week, that's gotta be a record for me!

Has anyone seen the filmclip for 'Stupid Girls' by Pink? At first I dismissed the song as being overly cynical and silly, but i actually found myself chuckling, and then *gasp* laughing when I watched it the other day. It's funny and says a lot about how much we judge things on outward appearance in our culture- especially girls in how they (we) act sometimes. That's not to say that we don't place value on 'deeper' things and look past the surface to character, but that's just it-there always seems to be a bit of friction between judging by outward appearance, and not caring about that stuff. Like thinking on the one hand 'my gosh, I can't believe that person is wearing that, they must be a bit unsavoury' or something, and at the same time 'they look interesting, I wonder what their life story is'. Or seeing a show like Australian Story, and then in the same hour watching 'Australia's Next Top Model'.
Lol that's a bit random and not well expressed, but there's my random thought for the day :P I hope I'm not turning into a cynical arts student!

3 comments:

sez said...

i dont think i've seen the film clip, but i can certainly see where you're coming from!!

Emma Smith said...

yeh I saw the film clip as well and thought it was funny. It has her dressed as so many diff people and its obvious who she is. Its kinda what we were talking about in a "gender studies" lecture today. The fact that men are the lookers and women are to be looked at. Like first that sounded really stupid and untrue but think about the emphasis placed on women to look a certain way so they are visually pleasing. Like how many girls do u know that carry mirrors round in their handbags? at least a few. and how many men do u know who do it? none.

Also advertising... look through a magazine, at adds targeted at men and women. IN adds for mens stuff, eg mens perfume of shoes, the man is always doing somthing, usually active, playing sport or somthing, but in a womens add, like for perfume, or lipstick or somthing the girl is just there, as an object of beauty. mmm anyway that is quite long AGAIN and off topic.. but yes stupid girls is quite amusing and somewhate true. lol

Phili said...

Ah Jess - you've identified one of my key struggles! Not only do I often initially judge people by their appearance but I have to admit I spend much of my time getting anxious over what people might think of me - whether it's what I'm wearing or what I'm saying or doing. I constantly have to remind myself to get beyond the superficial and see both others and also myself as God sees me.